Coach Profile: Tony O’Hagan (Principal Coach)
My aim is to get the best out of an athlete, given their resources. Those resources include ability, training history, time available (most athletes have real jobs and family commitments!), and training environment.
Since my first triathlon in 1987, I have been hooked on Triathlon, and the related disciplines of swimming, cycling, and running. Involvement in the sport has included and continues to be as an athlete, administrator, and a coach. A natural curiosity to get the best out of training led me down the path of coaching. Always interested in others idea’s for training from early on in my involvement in the sport I participated in numerous training camps, engaging with a variety of coaches on their training ideas (including Triathlon New Zealand training camps as both student and teacher!)
My coaching experience now spans over 15 years and includes success for athletes to top 3 finishes at IRONMAN®, top 5 at Triathlon World Championship – Age group (standard distance), and top 15 World Championships Elite (Standard distance). I have also coached masters’ swimmers, cyclists, and runners.
Subsidised group training sessions at for club members (see club training page for options or ask Tony)
Range of coaching services and sessions available.
- Level 2 Tri NZ coach (previously High performance and carded coach).
- 20+ years coaching experience, from beginners to World championship team members and Ironman podium finishers.
- 5 NZ triathlon titles, 4 time Elite team member to world champs, plus several age group teams.
- Convenor of selection for Tri NZ -including world championship and Olympic teams. Also regional representative to Tri NZ board.
- Local triathlon club committee member for 15 years+ (including; Palmerston North, Dunedin, Auckland).
- School cycling and triathlon team Coach – 5+ years.